If you would like to make an online gift to San Miguel School (SMS), please visit our secure online donation site
Gifts by Mail
If you would like to make a gift via check, please make your check payable to “San Miguel School” and mail it to our secure lockbox:
San Miguel School
1954 W. 48th Street, Chicago, IL 60609
Illinois Tax Credit Scholarship Program-Invest in Kids
Do you want to direct your Illinois tax dollars to help deserving students access a scholarship? The Illinois Tax Credit Scholarship Program/ Invest in Kids Act provides donors a unique opportunity to contribute scholarships that help lower-income families send their children to private schools- while reducing their own tax bill to the state. When you make a contribution to a Scholarship Granting Organization (e.g. Big Shoulders Fund or Empower Illinois), 75% of the donation is available as a tax credit against an individual’s or a corporation’s Illinois income tax.
How do I participate:
- Request a Letter ID: Request a Letter ID from the Illinois Department of Revenue. Visit My Tax Illinois and via the Individuals menu, request your Letter ID. You will receive a notice with your Letter ID via U.S. mail within 7 to 10 business days. Taxpayers should request the Letter ID now to avoid processing delays.
- Create an online account: Once you receive your Letter ID, visit My Tax Illinois to create your account.
- Reserve your tax credits: Beginning January 1, 2020, log in to your My Tax Illinois account to reserve your credit. The credits are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and donors must have an account in order to reserve credits. To do this you will apply for a Contribution Authorization Certificate in the amount you plan to contribute. Be sure to designate the SGO and the region to which your contribution should be directed (e.g., Big Shoulders Fund, Region 1).
- Make your contribution: You will receive your Contribution Authorization Certificate via your My Tax Illinois account within three days. You have 60 days after receiving the certificate to send your contribution and Authorization Certificate to the SGO that you selected (e.g. Big Shoulders). The SGO will then disperse the funds to San Miguel.
Leaving your Legacy to San Miguel School
Making a provision for San Miguel in your will leaves a legacy that enables us to provide quality education for young men and women in the Back of the Yards neighborhood now and into the future.
To read more about planned giving opportunities in support of our students, please see our Legacy page.
IRA Charitable Rollover
You may be looking for a way to make a big difference to help further our mission. If you are 70½ or older you may also be interested in a way to lower the income and taxes from your IRA withdrawals. An IRA charitable rollover is a way you can help continue our work and benefit this year.
IRA (CUSTODIAN) – SAN MIGUEL FEBRES CORDERO SCHOOL, INC.
Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to our organization
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help further the work and mission of our organization
By making a multi-year commitment in support of our student and alumni, you may find that you are able to increase the amount of your total gift. You may choose the amount and payment schedule that best meets your needs.
Gifts of Securities
Some individuals find significant tax savings by making their gift in the form of appreciated securities. Please contact Jeff Smart at email@example.com for SMS’s account and DTC number.
Many corporations offer matching gift programs to encourage charitable giving among current and retired employees and their spouses. Your company may have programs that could double or triple your gift to the students of San Miguel School.
Corporate and Foundation Giving
Corporate and foundation giving is a critical element to the success of San Miguel School. If you know of a corporation and/or foundation that would be interested in supporting our work, please contact San Miguel.
If you are interested in donating goods or services to San Miguel, please visit our Wish List. If you would like to share additional items or services with us that are not already on our Wish List, please contact Jeff Smart, Executive Director to see if we could put these items or services to good use.
For more information please contact Jeff Smart at 773-890-0233 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Miguel School’s Federal tax ID number is 36-4378726.